Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How Do We Inspire Habits?


Informal Science Learning

I came across an interesting blog entitled "Informal Science Learning and the Makers Movement" by Eric Siegel on Celebration of Teaching & Learning. The blog immediately caught my attention because the author posed every day, simple questions concerning our learning habits, such as, "How do people start getting engaged in something that becomes a life long interest, hobby, or passion?" The blog highlights education's impact on creating these passions.

I like to think that my students enjoy science. I try to do captivating demos when applicable, and they are continuously doing experiments along with notes because they enjoy the hands-on application. The question that sparked my concern after reading this blog is, "Am I making students love science enough to make it a habit?" Do students want to go home and pull up a scientific article, or find out why the sky is blue (there is a scientific reasoning for this).

I do not believe my passion for science was fostered by my academic experiences. I believe this passion grew out of my own personal love for nature, the outdoors, and wanting to know "how" instead of "why". In retrospect, isn't this what we want our students to obtain - an understanding of what they want to be when they grow up. I remember my junior year of college as being one of the toughest years for me because I did not know if I found my true passion. Fortunately, I stuck through the hard time and realized the hard work at the time was what really was getting to me.

After reading this blog, I think it is also our duty as educators to instill passions and/or hobbies in our students. This will ultimately help them determine where they want to go or what jobs they want to seek when they make their plans for college. Bottom line, people who love their jobs, are doing what they love. We need to help students find what they love so we can help them thrive and flourish in their true callings.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely Laura, especially about the Junior year statement! For me, it was senior year when I asked myself, "is it all worth it??" It wasn't the job (it's what I want, really)... it was the work that was stressing me out and causing doubts. Glad you stuck with it, and we're almost done!

    Instilling passion in students is a hard task! We have 20 bodies in front of us and they all want different things in that moment. Some want to be there, to learn and grow, and have things already figured out. Some students are there because they have to be there, not because they care about what you're saying at all. And most are somewhere in the middle, they're there because they have to be, but know they want to be more than a high school drop out. I guess the best you can do as a teacher is open up the world for your students, let them explore and figure things out with you there to guide them.

    This was a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura!

    I think it is important for us to give students as many real life experiences as possible for them to see what is out there for them to grab onto.
    I think field trips can really open kids' eyes to what's out there.
    This past week we went on a trip to a Chinese dance and acrobat performance in Staten Island. When we were sitting in the theater and I looked down the aisle at our third graders I could see some of them leaning into the seats in front of the to get closer to the action.
    With field trips you can explore the world in real life contexts.
    If students aren't aware of possibilities they'll never be aware of what they can achieve themselves.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete