Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Open Source

This week for the open source discovery I have to say I am very disappointed. My understanding of open source is to provide every day individuals with the opportunity to utilize free programs/projects of specific categories. However, these "projects" that I have searched under the general category of science have not returned any valuable resources to me, in my opinion. I began downloading Avogado, which is a science visualization project. However, I immediately realized that the download would take forever. I stopped the project and found another seemingly interesting project called GrADS that also offered pictures to enhance learning in the classroom. After downloading the program, I am loaded with a bunch of computer programmer style procedures I have to run through in order to make the project work. For example, I completed the 5 minute download, and now I am left with a "Getting Started" screen that says: grads-2.0.x-win32_superpack.exe . In which I need to find the file and download it, or "unzip" the file in order to make my way towards this "project".
Now, as I digress, this is something that is completely unappealing to me. This to me is not an "Open Source", it is an even more time consuming way to find a project that may or may not be beneficial in the classroom.
One Open Source app I did find to be amazing is iTALC. I think this program is so great because it allows teachers to monitor students during the computer lab. Teachers will know at all time what students are doing behind their monitors. Whether it is work, surfing the Net, or nothing, a teacher has the access to monitor,guide, or even control student computer screens. This is definitely something I would utilize in a computer lab to ensure students are working to their best ability at all times.
I'm sorry about my negative view of Open Source apps, but after an hour of searching for something applicable to the classroom and retrieving nothing, I happen to be frustrated. I am eager to hear about your success and/or failures.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    Your search is not unusual. Although there are quite a few great Science apps out there. Opensource is hit or miss - but it is a useful stop when trying to find a solution to a problem; if you experienced the issue someone else has too. They might have started an open source project. That said, did you look through the the Open Science Project?: http://openscience.org/links/

    The author has slowed down recently, but the resources found there are still interesting.

    iTalc is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete