Tuesday, March 29, 2011

SMART exchange lesson plan review


First off, let me start off by saying that SMART exchange is such a cool website! I wish I had known about this website in the beginning of the year because I definitely would have utilized this resource!

One of the ways I utilize my SMART board for presentations is by having my notes from a PowerPoint presentation on the SMART board. Sometimes I will use the activity tools in that come with the SMART board, but I like using PowerPoint for my notes because the typing I feel is much easier in PowerPoint then in the SMART board software.

At the SMART exchange site, I decided to do a search on the forms of energy since that is what I am covering in the next couple of days at school. I came across many lessons on potential and kinetic energy which were interesting, but what I was really looking for more specific forms, such as nuclear, and chemical. I came across the energy form of Sound and I immediately previewed the lesson.

The format of the lesson was sensible. First, the lesson introduced the parts of the ear that are essential to a person's hearing. Right from the start, the lesson was loaded with images to accompany text. (This is one of the reasons I love this lesson so much). The images really allow students to "see" sound waves.

The subtopics covered on sound waves are important: frequency, speed, loudness, pitch, as well as interactions of sound waves such as sonar and echolocation. In all, these topics are essential when covering the topic of sound energy.

One thing I would probably change is the order of the slides. I do not think it makes sense to have hearing loss and deafness as one of the beginning slides. I would like to see this slide when the discussion turns to loudness and how loud noises such as music can be damaging. All in all, I think some tweaking of the slides and the notations on the slides would make this presentation even more successful.

The second thing I loved about this lesson activity so much was it's application to every day interactions with sound. Students will be able to understand things like echolocation or an ultrasound due to the explanation of waves and the visuals that accompany these descriptions.

This is such a great website and I encourage you to take a look at the lesson I am describing by following this link: Sound Energy

No comments:

Post a Comment