Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Will We Always Have a Library?

The past two days I have taken my students to the “lib lab” which is the term we used to describe the computer lab within the library. The students are working on gathering information on their Element project. The librarian took a few short minutes to show students the location of newly purchased element books that offer great information and wonderful pictures.

I immediately thought to myself, “Yeah right, the kids want to get on the computers and access the information on the computer.” However, after the librarians talk, the kids practically dove to the shelf to grab a book before heading back to the computer. The students began to multitask with their sources – the online databases and a book in hand!

After the day ended, the librarian and I had a small chat. She told me that she recently read an article that one library had completely converted to all e-readers/books. The library would no longer contain any more “leather-bound” books. She expressed her disappointment in this total transformation and how she could never envision that within her own library.

After thinking about this statement and the hot item that e-readers currently are, do you think it’s possible to lose the value and function of a library? I personally like the feel of holding a book in my hand and flipping pages. The rush when I am more than half way through the book and I can see the story coming to an end as each page turns, is something I would not want to replace with an e-reader. But if we take away our books, are we taking away a learning tool for students? Just a thought and question I wanted to share with you and see your perspectives. I also wanted to share a link with you of a student that attends the Harrison school district that I work which was on the cover of the New York Times about e-readers, see what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Laura,

    It's interesting, the whole digital library idea came about before e-readers, probably with the introduction of resources that became available online.

    I understand the feel of having a book in your hand and turning the pages, so I feel both options should be made available to students (or the world for that manner).

    I think it's great that the new technology is getting students excited about reading and making more accessible, however, if you make it the only option, we may lose out on something. My fear is always what happens if the devices malfuntion? Paper books tend not to malfuntion. There should always be the hard in person copies available!

    Thanks,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Laura-

    I hope this fear NEVER comes into true fruition. I've thought about this before myself, seeing more and more people tapping at the buttons of their kindles on the subway rather than turning the pages of fresh paperback.

    I remember watching the 2002 version of H.G. Well's The Time Machine (with Guy Pierce) and in traveling into the far reaches of the future, beyond the times of the greatest technologies and their fallings the brilliant Dr. stumbles upon the one holographic man that hold all of the information ever written in books. Not one book had survived the times of changing earth and not one piece of other technologies that held humanities information did either. He had it all... and he was a technology source himself.

    It's sometimes a double edged sword, this whole technological error. On the one had these tools are helping us to do greater things at efficientcies we never knew possible. It;s evolving our classrooms in ways that help kids gain independence sooner and in alternative ways. But then on the other side if everything with technology being so finicky at times, what will happen if we are unable to access what we've transferred there.

    I think Sean is spot on in saying that the balance and choice of a book or a computer should always be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,

    Interesting topic! I think incorporating e-readers into a classroom is the future however, I don't think it will completely take over our libraries. Every student learns differently and some need to record written notes and physically highlight key words as they are reading along.

    For example, this semester I decided to get an e-textbook that I am able to read on my laptop. I am finding that it takes me longer to read and comprehend my e-textbook compared to last semester when I had a regular textbook.

    In this technology driven society, we need to remember that every student is different and as educators we need to give our students as many options to learn from handouts to readings online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie,
    I've been thinking about purchasing e-textbooks as well, but have not actually went through with it. I like to buy textbooks from half.com and ebay.com so I can sell them back. It's very interesting to me that you find it more difficult to read an e-textbook. Does the e-textbook software allow you to use any tools such as an editor to highlight or take notes "on" the text? If not, maybe that is something we can develop! :)

    ReplyDelete